Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Dipole reflector
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dipole reflector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennj
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Dipole reflector Reply with quote

I have a 33' vertical radiator that I use to transmit on 40 meters. I currently use several 33' lengths of horizontal wire for my ground plane. What I would like to try and do, is to put the 33' radiator on top of a 30' tower and use the tower for the lower half of the dipole, letting the radiator "push" against the tower.

My question is, will it work? Probably will work, but will it be efficient? Is it worth the trouble of even setting up? The reason why I want to try it, because if it works, I want to put up a second one and feed the two in phase.

Thanks in advance to any comments/suggestions.

jg
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - putting a 33' wire on top of a 30' tower will be at least as efficient as a 33' wire on top of horizontal (artificial) wired ground plane. Likely will be more efficient. Although, where was the 33' horizontal wires before? Already attached to a tower?

Semantics: the tower is as much of the radiator as what you call the "radiator". The universe doesn't know which is ground and which is the radiator, at least from an antenna perspective.

If you want to feed two in phase, the relative location of the two will determine the radiation pattern. Check out the section on antenna arrays if you're not familiar
glennj
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The counterpoise/ground plane was at the base of the antenna - appx. 10 feet above ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: