Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - UHF Near field antenna
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHF Near field antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raphael_spacecode
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: UHF Near field antenna Reply with quote

Hello
I have heard about the concept of UHF near field antenna. I don't know what this clearly means. I was thinking basically that its far field component decays rapidly. However under the far field assumption, the field decays as a 1/r function, whatever is the antenna. So I really don't understand.
Does this mean a short range antenna ( with a small radiation resistance) and then a small size? But small antennas are not easily tunable?
If someone can provide me some information and a design example, that would be nice.
Thanks
Regards
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definition of antenna MEANS far-field radiation, so technically "near field antenna" is a misnomer.

Mathematically, the E and H fields around an antenna are a sum of terms that scale 1/r, 1/r^2, 1/r^3. The 1/r terms decay the slowest with large distances, so these terms are responsible for the far field properties of the antenna.

All the other terms become large when you are close to the antenna, and these terms represent the antenna "near field" which represents static energy storage (as with a capacitor or an inductor) OR flowing power that sort of swirls around the vicinity of the antenna (but doesn't ever actually leave).

SO, ANY capacitor or inductor in a sense has an "antenna near field". These terms decay very rapidly with distance as described above. But, they can be used at very short range to couple RF energy between two circuits. (Imagine an iron-core transformer coupling AC energy between two inductors via a mutual inductance... What we are discussing is an identical concept, except there is NO iron core and the transformer coupling coefficient is very small AND varies with the geometry as the two antennas move around.) So these kinds of devices play the role of an antenna in a short range RF communications link, which is why people call them "near field antennas". The radiation efficiency can be very small (since no far-field radiation is even desired). Your design goals are now probably very different than with a traditional (far-field) antenna... I believe you'll want to have the highest voltage on a capacitive (open circuit) structure OR the highest current on a inductive (short circuit structure). These goals are not achieved with 50 Ohms input impedance. Thus impedance matching and also tuning are probably unimportant (I'm assuming the transmit power is small).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: