Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Thanks for the help!
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks for the help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaapgif
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help! Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your excellent folded balun article! I have scoured the Internet for sources on baluns and although I understood many of the arguments, yours article was by far the most enlightening.

The folded balun is also sometimes called the quarter wavelength balun and I think many people searching for information would miss your article by using the wrong name. Perhaps mentioning the other name in the article would help more people reach your site. (It would've saved me a lot of effort!).

I read your article on the yagi-uda, but I beleive you have made a mistake. The principal explanation is correct, however a longer dipole has an inductive reactance and a shorter dipole an capacitive reactance. This creates a phased array with the progressive phase shifts starting from the reflector. I think a very intuitive way to think about it as a ball being hit, the reflector hits the ball and after waiting a while the driven element hits the ball again, and then each of the directors creating a beam into the direction of the directors.

Regards
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skaapgif-

Thank you for the nice comments.

You are correct on the impedances of the dipoles, I had them swapped - a shorter dipole is capacitive. I'll update this shortly.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: