Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Protecting components from surrounding dielectric constant
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting components from surrounding dielectric constant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koen
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Protecting components from surrounding dielectric constant Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to pot a PCB including RF inductors and capacitors. The potting compound has an Er of 4.6, similar to FR4. It impacts the capacitance of the RF components and I would like to shield these with a bubble of air to reduce these changes. Would you have an idea of the necessary shielding space needed around 0402 components ? Would a few millimeters left, right and above be enough or is much more volume needed ?

Thank you !
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3mm would be more than enough for 0402s.

The fields on capacitors are pretty tightly bound so I wouldn't expect a huge change in capacitance. Inductors won't be affected unless you are near their self resonant frequency.

I would say 0.5mm surrounding the components would be more than sufficient
Koen
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer ! I will try to surround the components by a thin layer of air and report of the results as I had a terrible time finding literature about this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: