Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Planar Antenna Wavelength
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planar Antenna Wavelength

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxxpower
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Planar Antenna Wavelength Reply with quote

Hi,
When designing a planar (PCB trace) antenna the wavelength should be with regards to the Er of the material correct? Or do I use Er=1 for the wavelength?
What does the width of my PCB trace do to the antenna properties?
PCB antennas are not routed over ground planes so I guess I'm a little confused as to how the trace width and Er affect it.
Thanks
Ken
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a straightforward relationship between the effective wavelength (i.e., twice length at which a half-wave printed dipole becomes resonant) and the relative permittivity and thickness of the PCB.

If you check out the NEC (old Fortran MoM code) theory manual, you can find some info on analytical corrections for thin/cylindrical wires insulated with a cylindrical material with relative permittivity greater than 1. How that quantitatively relates to a printed/PCB problem is beyond me.

Sounds like you're kinda thinking about PCB trace width in the context of microstrip characteristic impedance. The thing is that antennas have antenna mode currents (also known as unbalanced currents) on them, and microstrip lines have transmisison line mode (also known as balanced currents) currents on them. These two types of currents serve very different purposes and behave very differently. On microstrip, increasing the trace width decreases the characteristic impedance. For a dipole, increasing the trace width lowers inductance, and tends to increase bandwidth. These two effects are related, but the way they're typically thought about is different.

Search for "fat dipole" for an explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: