Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Antenna gain and voltage across its port
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna gain and voltage across its port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eak
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Antenna gain and voltage across its port Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm playing with solenoid antennas and i'm trying to understand how does it work. My question is how does the voltage across an antenna port at reception is related to its gain ? When i double the number of turns of the solenoid my voltage at its port double (+ 6 dB in HFSS simulation and measurement), BUT the simulated gain does not increase by 6 dB when antenna is excited. Why ?
Another question, is it possible do get the gain of an antenna when voltage is taken from non 50 Ohm port but some complex value?
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "solenoid antenna" I assume you're referring to a very electrically small loop or coil of wire that behaves quasi-statically, i.e., the open circuit voltage at across the output terminals is Vout = j*omega*B*Aeff, where omega is the radian frequency and B is the magnetic flux density (i.e., Teslas) and Aeff is an effective area.

For an electrically small antenna (either electric of magnetic type), the directivity is basically fixed at ~2dBi. And the gain differs from this only by the efficiency. (Realized gain includes mismatch loss as well.) Antenna gain has to do with power (or power density per unit solid angle -- check the definitions in an antenna book or IEEE standard), and power is related to voltage (or current) AND impedance.

Now, when you add more turns, you indeed will get more voltage for a constant impressed B field, but the efficiency and antenna impedance (and therefore the mismatch loss to a constant, real impedance such as 50 Ohms) of the antenna also change. In reality, the gain (and realized gain) will only decrease as you add more turns. If you use non-PEC materials in your simulation, you'll see the effect on efficiency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: