Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Antenna propagation for point to point connection
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna propagation for point to point connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
datin
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Antenna propagation for point to point connection Reply with quote

Antenna propagation for point to point connection

Hello,
I know that my question is very basic.But Im confused.

Please assume we have two points. a directional antenna located on A point and omni-directional antenna is located on B point.

radiation wave from A antenna able to reach to B antenna.So B antenna received wave and convert it to electrical signal.

For response from B, Does wave from B antenna have to able to reach to A antenna?

I want to show in diagram but couldnot upload it.

Thanks
Espen Wium

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: The path loss is the same in both directions Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if you're transmitting from A to B or from B to A, the path loss is the same given that you use the same antennas for transmit and receive. When you transmit from B to A, your directional antenna in A will be the receiver, and the directivity/gain it had in transmit mode is converted to a larger effective aperture (Ae) - meaning that it captures more of the RF energy coming from B. The fundamental relation between Gain and Effective Aperture is: G/Ae=4*pi/lamda^2
datin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Espen,
Actually I want to ask that,
I assume RF signal transmitted from A able to reach B antenna.
and I assume transmitted RF signal from B doesnt able to reach A antenna.
Is RF signal coming from A antenna to B antenna working as a carrier for data transfer from B to A ?
Thanks for your interest
Espen Wium

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi datin,

I have to make some assumptions about your RF link, and I'm assuming that you have a half duplex radio system that alternates between sending from A to B and from B to A. The same antenna is used for transmit and receive at both locations, a high gain antenna in A and an omni-directional antanna in B.

Also, I'm assuming that you have the same type of transceiver in A and B, meaning that they have the same output power and sensitivity when measured conducted at the transmission line between the antenna and the transceiver.

I think you have the wrong "model" of the problem; it's not a question of whether the RF signal "reaches" the other node. It always does - RF signals do not stop, but their intensity decreases as the same power is spread over a larger surface area when the signal propagates away from the source. An antenna's ability to capture this power is measured by a parameter called the Effective Aperture (Ae). The model here is that the receiving antenna captures all the RF power in a given surface area perpendicular to the direction of propagation, and this surface area is the effective aperture (m^2). The relationship between Gain and Ae means that when receiving, the antenna in A will capture RF power from a much larger area than the omni-directional antenna did in location B. That's why you will have the same link quality in both directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: