Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - External Antenna design for smart phones
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Antenna design for smart phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahuldapp
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: External Antenna design for smart phones Reply with quote

Hey! I'm working on a project involving external antenna design to boost signals for smart phones. Can we couple the feeds wirelessly somehow and try out? Is that a feasible option? Please help me
E Kafeman
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

External antenna coupler is possible but it cost transmission loss between coupler and internal antenna. Well designed will typical loss be 3-6 dB.
Possible but not any real boost.
This type of coupling is a common solution to improve transmission for a cellphone placed inside a car, with aid of an external antenna.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that metallic phones such as the iPhone 4/5/6 and HTC One have antennas that are not internal - the external metal is the antenna. So you don't even need to couple to it, you can copper tape right to it.

Here's an example:
http://antenna-theory.com/iphone-range-extender.php

if you steal my idea, just make sure to credit me Smile
E Kafeman
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
rahuldapp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: External Antenna design for smart phones Reply with quote

@admin: Well, thank you admin for your idea.. Of course, I'll credit you Very Happy
Also, I have to investigate and find out solution in a general case. Yet, your idea has been really helpful. Thanks!
rahuldapp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: External Antenna design for smart phones Reply with quote

@Kafeman: Thank you for replying! Very Happy How do we couple them? I would need a bit more detail.. Can you please provide?
E Kafeman
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but details will be your part to handle, or you can pay me, as I do such things for living.
Designing a coupler is much as any antenna developing process:
Optimize for lowest possible system loss S21, whatever S11 is, and finally normalize impedance with aid of a matching network.

Have been involved in design of this one.
That coupler is multi-band and designed for a special phone model, allowing for better performance.
A general coupler, single band, is easier to design.
Buy something like this and do some reverse engineering or improve it to fit your need.
Performance for a such coupler will be very depending on phone model that is selected as RF current along phone ground can vary a lot between models due to ground size and its internal antenna locations.

Admin is correct, no need for a coupler for an iPhone, but whatever you connect, is it probably already covered by Apple patents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: