Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Antenna gain
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna gain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Alternative
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Antenna gain Reply with quote

Antenna gain is usually given with relationship to a known antenna (such as a dipole or a isotropic). To give one example: a dipole has a gain of 2.5dbi.

However, I notice that many antenna modeling programs give a gain figure. This figure seems to be far too high. Just what is that these programs provide? How do they calculate the gain figure?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Gain Reply with quote

Hmmm...what program are you using?

A good check to see if your using the program right (and to make sure the program runs correctly), is to perform the analysis on a simple half-wave dipole. The directivity and gain should both be roughly 2.15 dB or less, and if its much higher than something isn't correct.
gelunmak
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the same experience of having incorrect gain value when using some simulations software.

Of course, i tried to use a simple dipole to test the software but the value is higher than the expected value of 2.15dBi.

So i don't rely too much on the gain value, instead i'll look at other parameter like beamwith, F/B ratio, shape of pattern, S11, S21 , ... etc.

Simulation software for me is design aid which help to confirm some new idea or to predict the performance before actually build the antenna.

I trust and rely more on experiment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: