Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Definition help
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Definition help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W4BSG
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Definition help Reply with quote

Hello-
I have a question, based on several articles I have reviewed today. I have seen "Effective Aperture" related to the expression:

Ae=(lambda)^2/(4 Pi)

But I thought it should be:

Ae=Pi (lambda)^2 /4

(Both equations should have efficiency terms applied)
I am questioning this because Kraus has the second, but Wikipedia and another web reference haves at least two places where the first is given.
Have I lost my marbles?
Thanks-Bill
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Effective Aperture Reply with quote

I have only seen the effective aperture defined as:

Ae = (lambda^2)*Gain/(4*pi)

Note that the effective aperture is defined as the amount of power delivered to the load for a plane wave incident upon the antenna:

Ae = [Power Delivered - watts]/[Incident Power Density from a plane Wave - watts/meter^2]

See:
http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/aperture.php

I'm not sure where Kraus's definition comes from. If he defines things differently it could very well show up as he has it....however, I believe the definition above is now standard.
W4BSG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Definition help Reply with quote

I am still confused. I was of the opinion that Aperture had units of Area, but your words give the units as power. As I was using it, Power density * aperture = power. For a circular aperture of diameter=Lambda, the area would be:
A=(Pi/4)*lambda^2 with units of M^2.
Then power,W from a wave of power density with units W/M^2 would be as I had it before, with Pi in the numerator.
Well, back to the refereces. Where do I find IEEE definitions?
Bill
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: units of area Reply with quote

The ratio of power [in watts] to power density [in watts/meter^2] does give the units of area [meter^2]. This is how I was defining it.

Remember that the physical area of an antenna (Ap) is not equal to the effective aperture (Ae) or how much power the antenna captures.
W4BSG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that physical and effective areas are different, but they ARE related. Over a fair range of sizes, the relationship is scalable. However, in most circular functions, Pi has a fixed function, and the expressions I am puzzled by are not familiar.
What is the path of derivation in this area that carries Pi from the numerator to the denominator?
Bill- Puzzled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: