Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Reflector dimensions 110deg beamwidth 2.4ghz panel or trough
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reflector dimensions 110deg beamwidth 2.4ghz panel or trough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captcouillon
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reflector dimensions 110deg beamwidth 2.4ghz panel or trough Reply with quote

Sorry to take up space for what is probably a trivial question, but after a days searching, y'alls forum seemed a better alternative to another couple years in school.

Short form question: (Additional info below if required) Need proper dimensions to build a simple reflector (Parabolic-trough or Corner-panel) to boost power and sensitivity of existing 2.4 ghz indoor access point with internal antennas. Require 100-120 deg beamwidth. Can fabricate reflector as required but have not been able to verify dimensions for "wider than normal" beamwidth.

TIA for any assistance. My math skills have tapered off in the last 40 years.
Cap' Couillon

Additional information
Attempting to increase sensitivity and signal strength of existing gt784wnv wireless n router, rather than adding additional exterior mounted bridge and antenna. Wish to improve reliability of communication with clients (consumer grade wifi nics) located on docks. Diagram of area below... Clear line of sight, current signal as read by n600 usb nic located at end of 150' line on dock.. -76dbm

Quick experiment with 8" aluminum colander resulted in signal strength of -66dbm (can get it up to -63dbm if I stick a pepper can behind the nic on the boat) Tools I have been able to find tell me this setup (redneck-rig?) has a beamwidth of 45deg more or less which will not allow decent coverage at the end of the docks. Figure a little more sophisticated reflector might save me a couple hundred bucks.

(You have to admit, it is somewhat elegant in its simplicity)
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reflector Antenna Reply with quote

Ok. I'm not sure where your antennas are in the device, but I would recommend flat metallic panels behind your device, something like what is shown here:
http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/reflectors/cornerReflector.php

If you are dealing with WIFI, the distance between the plates to the antenna should be about 1.5", and the panels should be at least 1 square foot, (the larger the better), at a 90 degree angle.

Now, this somewhat requires the antennas to be vertically polarized (which means they are like dipoles). As I'm not sure where the antennas are on your device, you will have to experiment a bit with the orientation of hte reflector panels relative to your device. But as a first cut, see the figure on the above link to get started.
captcouillon
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve... Flat corner panel setup will be easier to fab as well.

Short of opening the gt784wnv up, the antenna orientation and location are gonna remain a mystery. When we first got it I got in touch with Actiontec (mfgr) and asked about the output power. They told me that the "v" model is manufactured for Verizon, and Verizon considers that information proprietary. Heaven help me if I should ask about antennas.

Their gt784wn has external antennas, but I believe its based on a Broadcom card. Most of the Broadcom setups I have seen with internal antennas just have a separate antenna card piggybacked at the top of the unit. Seeing as it all boils down to experimentation we will start there, and try different orientations as we go.

Tks again for the advice
Cap' Couillon
wolberine
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a search for the FCC ID over at http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

The web site above should have internal photos of the device's antennas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: