Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - design antenna for mobile phones
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

design antenna for mobile phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkkashyap
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: design antenna for mobile phones Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have successfully designed PIFA antenna for mobile phone size resulting an omni-directional pattern.But if i integrate the same in CAD tool with mobile phone casing,battery,PCB etc., the radiation pattern is no more omni.

Need help on how to reduce the effect?

Also,i have seen so many mobile phones have antennas stitched/attached to a special plastic piece inside mobile.How to design such antennas?
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Omnidirectional PIFA Reply with quote

Why do you care if the pattern is omnidirecitonal? You should only worry about the efficiency.

For the printed antennas, they are often IFAs (INverted-F Antennas):
http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/aperture/ifa.php
gkkashyap
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: design of mobile phone antennas Reply with quote

Thanks Mr.steve. That was informative.But for the mobile phones,the required radiation pattern is omni-directional,i believe so that mobile can pick signal from any direction?And yes,efficiency is also important parameter.

The IFA antennas,in the example of palm pre - How is the connection of the feed and shorting pin with the Mobile phone PCB?Is there an RF connector between this Yellow strip and PCB or any other contact pins,50 ohm microstrip trace contact etc?

Also,i believe this yellow strip was pasted onto the black plastic of mobile phone?How can this scenario be realize in antenna design CAD tool during the design stage?
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste time making a phone antenna omnidirectional. The phone's size at 850 MHz is about a half-wavelength so the pattern will be roughly omnidirectional anyway (i.e. you couldn't make it with a high directivity if you wanted to). This criteria is a waste of time.

The connection on the palm pre is just a thin copper flex connection from the circuit board (with the radio, transmission line and impedance matching) up to the arms of hte IFA. This is not complicated.

For antenna design cad tools: I don't care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: