Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - How to Test a Common Dipole Antenna
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Test a Common Dipole Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SM.Physics
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: How to Test a Common Dipole Antenna Reply with quote

Recently, I built a simple dipole antenna. It consists of a coaxial cable leading to a screw terminal, then branching out into two insulated copper wires. It is cut to operate at ~105 MHz range. Now, I want to test it. I would like to test it's resonance, impedance, VSWR, and the like. I work in a small university lab and am not able to access all kinds of testing equipment, but I do have access to a oscillator and several signal generators. What equipment should I use? Where do I hook up all the wires? Help! Sad
wolverine1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Testing that antenna Reply with quote

There are plenty of youtube videos that highlight the method you describe. Using an oscillator and a signal generator, you can easily test for resonance for sure. Just search: Antenna Testing or something like that on youtube.com to find it. Also, why are you just making a basic dipole antenna? That really serves no purpose... Also read up on the design because they way you seem to have set it up does not function right. Embarassed
SM.Physics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the design I folloed: http://nathan.chantrell.net/old-stuff/radio/radio-scanning/how-to-make-a-simple-dipole-antenna/...is it not correct? I'm trying to build a near-perfect antenna (perfect gain, impedance match, VSWR=1), and I wanted to start with a basic dipole antenna design.
wolverine1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to build a close to perfect antenna, you can't get much further from it than a simple dipole antenna, so I'm still very confused as to why you would waste your time with this... But seriously, use google. This question doesn't deserve a spot here on this forum, it's a really easy solution... or better yet, figure it out for yourself. It's really not a complicated issue. We could help you, but we'd only be cheating you and stopping you from using your own intuition, which I assume you have but are too lazy to implement. Rolling Eyes
wolberine
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why wolverine1 is being so discouraging, building ANYTHING is a good place to start. Dipoles are well-covered in school and building, testing, and confirming theory is always a worthwhile exercise.

Good luck!
Bobby Digital

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not very helpful for the only two posts you've ever made.

Dipole is a fine antenna to start with if you're new to the whole thing. The best piece of equipment for this is a VNA. Measure S11 to find the antenna's impedance (from here you can get VSWR, and see where it is resonant). S21 in the far field would be great, but those require huge and expensive chambers.
tentionfree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question doesn't deserve a spot here on this forum, it's a really easy solution or better yet, figure it out for yourself. It's really not a complicated issue. We could help you, but we'd only be cheating you and stopping you from using your own intuition,,,....!!!

Twisted Evil

http://www.pass-4-sure.com/156-915-76-notes.html
http://www.emc.com/index.htm
http://www.wisc.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrix_Systems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: