Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Questions about using spectrum analyzer in measurement
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about using spectrum analyzer in measurement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masonlee
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Questions about using spectrum analyzer in measurement Reply with quote

Hi,

When we use spectrum analyzer to measure antenna receive power for gain calculation, i find out that the spectrum analyzer can measure few kind of powers like channel power, average power and total power. So which kind of power should i choose?

During the measurement with the spectrum analyzer, is it a must to see a peak in the receive power vs frequency plot? I found out that it still showing some power value even the screen does not show a peak.

How much the frequency span i should set?

Thanks
wolberine
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you specifically trying to measure? Can you provide screen shots if possible?
masonlee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trying to measure the radiation pattern and gain of an antenna. Just like the antenna measurement tutorial in this forum. I connect a spectrum analyzer to the antenna under test and measure the receive power.

When measuring the radiation pattern, at certain angle, the screen of the spectrum analyzer just showing a noise floor signal (without a peak) with low power level, can this low power be record? Is it accurate?
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Antenna Gain on the Spectrum Analyzer Reply with quote

Antenna gain is a function of frequency. So the first thing to know is that when someone says the gain of an antenna is 3 dB, this means the gain at a certain frequency. The gain of a single antenna will generally be different at separate frequencies.

So the appropriate settings will depend on what you are using as an input. Remember that gain is basically the ratio of power received to power transmitted (factoring in the pathless). So if you want to measure the gain of an antenna at f=1 GHz, then typically you are sending a broad pulse of power and you want to know the energy at 1 GHz. So you may integrate over a frequency span around 1 GHz to get the power there.

Basically, you want the parameters you are using to determine the input power and output power (on your spectrum analyzer) to match. It doesn't matter exactly what you choose as long as you are consistent.
masonlee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Gain on the Spectrum Analyzer Reply with quote

From the data sheet of the spectrum analyzer, i found that it allow us to switch on/off a preamp. So what is the function of this preamp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: