Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Why does this tiny 2.4GHz Wifi antenna work at all?
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does this tiny 2.4GHz Wifi antenna work at all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelfox
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Why does this tiny 2.4GHz Wifi antenna work at all? Reply with quote

My friend asked me to investigate why this little USB wifi module has poor range. My question is: why does it have any range at all? The antenna is a tiny 1-cm squiggle and bears no resemblance to any other 2.4GHz antenna I've seen.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/109904990968745520797/USBWifiAntennas

I took pictures of the tiny Wifi module as well as two others which have more respectable looking structures. It's the tiny one that I'm really interested in.

Can anyone think of why someone would make an Antenna like this except to be cheap?

[/img]
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little squiggle is only one part of the antenna. The entire groundplane that makes up the circuit board (including the connector) form one half of the dipole. Then the squiggle (along with some impedance matching) forms the second half.

The antenna design is likely the only volume the designer was given, and told to do the best he could. It's probably fine, although I wouldn't know for sure unless I had the device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: