Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Monopole-type antenna
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monopole-type antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolberine
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Monopole-type antenna Reply with quote

I've been having issues with radiating efficiency while prototyping a long wire/monopole antenna in a compact form at 434MHz. I've got about 7.5'' of wire wrapped in a U-shape horizontally about .5'' above a PCB. Looking down on the board, the feed starts on the right side of the board, halfway down from the top, and the antenna continues down, around a battery, and up the other side to the top of the plastics. The two corners of the U are right-angled turns.

I'm used to living with a link budget with inefficient antennas ~-9dBd. However, this antenna is around -14dBd. I can't get decent gain until I extend the wire completely straight.

I've done this type of antenna before in a circular shape and gotten results of ~-8dBd.

One interesting clue is the match is a bit funny. When matched, the --6dB RL is ~50MHz. The impedance looks like the left half of the number "8", which I've never seen before at 434MHz. Typically I get nice round circles.

Does anyone have any tips for improving the radiating efficiency? i.e. Should I get higher off the board? Maybe start the feed low and continue the rest of the antenna steadily higher? I'm really limited in my space because of the plastic casing form factor.
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say " When matched, the --6dB RL is ~50MHz.", what do you mean? The antenna is resonate at 50MHz? Not sure I understand.

It's hard to know exactly what's going on without a picture. But the only advice I can offer is that if you have a small volume (relative to a wavelength), maximize the volume of the antenna in any way possible. So yes, getting higher off the board should help, as well as increasing lengths where you can. Matching only removes mismatch loss; hence if you put in lossy components it is possible that the matching won't help much. It depends what the before and after VSWR is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: