Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - digital vs analog beamforming
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

digital vs analog beamforming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurul
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: digital vs analog beamforming Reply with quote

Hello,

what is the differences between analog and digital beamforming? is it only one has ADC in RF level while the other one has ADC in the baseband level?

one more, adaptive beamforming. adaptive beamforming means that the main beam of the antenna can be changed to adapt with the environment, correct? adaptive beamforming is categorized under digital or analog beamforming?

thanks a lot
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital beamforming uses a discrete set of weights: i.e. quantized values that are represented by a set of bits.

Analog beamforming uses an analog weight - it isn't confined to a specific set of values (i.e. continuous). Note that analog beamforming may not have an ADC at all - it can be used with analog modulation (for instance, AM signals).

Adaptive beamforming can be digital or analog - anything that changes in response to the environment. Even if there are only two possible beam patterns, this could be considered digital beamforming.
nurul
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Schubert.

If i want to apply LMS algorithm to determine the phase shift of an antenna array, that means I'm manitpulating its signal processing system and it's categorized under digital beamforming, correct?

and what if the weights aren't discrete?

thanks again for the reply
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If i want to apply LMS algorithm to determine the phase shift of an antenna array, that means I'm manitpulating its signal processing system and it's categorized under digital beamforming, correct? "

- How does manipulating "its signal processing system" mean the beamforming is digital? That doesn't make any sense. The weights have to be discrete (quantized, bit-mapped, etc) to be digital. LMS is an intrinsically analog weighting system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: