Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - patch antenna design in FEKO
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

patch antenna design in FEKO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulianCavinaugh
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: patch antenna design in FEKO Reply with quote

how to get the impedance of the patch antenna in POSTFEKO after I request the S-parameter?
I know that in HFSS, we can transfer from S parameter to Z- parameter and then read for the patch impedance. But I try in FEKO and can not see where to read the impedance for the patch
My patch antenna is fed by a 150 ohm input feed, then I get the length and width of the patch from the following links:
http://www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php?er=2.35&h=20&h_units_list=hmil&fr=15&Operation=Synthesize&La=8.6437484774&L_units_list=Lmm&Wa=10.536373763&W_units_list=Wmm&Rin=150.75

Please give me some idea
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you have to request currents to be calculated in the solution.

Then you should be able to get the impedance (the source is assumed to be 1 volt, or whatever you specified in the sources tab).
JulianCavinaugh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I request the current and set the Voltage source, I get the input impedance for the patch antenna, which is approximately 150 ohms, but I still cannot get the impedance of the whole patch antenna, i.e input impedance + the patch itself
JulianCavinaugh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is reference impedance? how is it related to the input impedance?
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reference impedance is the impedance of the transmission line used to connect the antenna. That is, the reflection coefficient is calculated from:

Gamma = (ZL - Z0)/(ZL + Z0), where ZL is the antenna impedance, and Z0 is the "reference impedance". That is, the reflection is a function of the transmission line that connects the antenna, not just a property of the antenna itself.

The impedance of the patch antenna is the input impedance. The patch has no "intrinsic impedance" associated with it. It varies based on where you feed it: i.e., it's input impedance.
JulianCavinaugh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot BigSteve,
Your information is very helpful. Then the total ZL+Z0 gives me the total impedance of the patch antenna, am I correct?
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no concept of total impedance.

The impedance of the path antenna is just the impedance ZL. It is independent of Z0, the transmission line. That is, if you change the transmission line that feeds the antenna to a new Z0 (Z0_2), the patch impedance does not change.
JulianCavinaugh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I want to compute the impedance of the quarter wave length microstrip, which is between 50 ohms and patch antenna impedance, The quarter wavelength microstrip impedance = sqrt(50ohms*input impedance of the patch antenna), am I correct?
JulianCavinaugh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case I have input feed into patch antenna is 150, the input impedance is equal to 150 ohms+ reference impedance, the reference impedance I set to be 150 ohms too because I noticed that whenever my reference is near to 150 ohms (the same impedance of input feed), the reflection coefficient lowest = -35 dB. Please let me know if my idea is correct
Many thanks
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where your equation on impedance comes from.

In regards to your last post, the reflection coefficient is given by:

Ref Cof = (ZA - Z0)/(ZA+Z0)

(ZA = antenna impedance, Z0 = reference impedance or characteristic impedance of transmission line feeding antenna)

So, if your antenna impedance is 150 Ohms, and you set the reference impedance to 150 Ohms, then the reflection coefficient will be very small (i.e. -35 dB). So yes, if you set the characteristic impedance to the antenna impedance, you will reduce the reflection coefficient.
JulianCavinaugh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this calculator compute the input impedance of the micro strip feed or for the patch itself? (link below)
http://www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php?er=2.35&h=20&h_units_list=hmil&fr=15&Operation=Synthesize&La=6.52098455435&L_units_list=Lmm&Wa=7.69061236058&W_units_list=Wmm&Rin=164.463207035
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: