Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Far field of Spiral Antenna
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Far field of Spiral Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmask
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Far field of Spiral Antenna Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I have question that has been bothering me for a while.

I have an Archimedean-like Spiral Antenna (2-18GHz) of 61mm diameter. It is usually assumed that the far field region of an antenna lies approximately at a distance R> 2D^2/lambda, where D is supposed to be "the largest dimension of the antenna". What does this mean in a spiral antenna? I would put the diameter, but the resulting R is 2.5cm@2GHz and 22.2cm@18GHz.

This doesn't sound very nice. In principle, D has to be greater than lambda for the equation to be applicable. Then, what dimension D should I consider in such an antenna?

Thank you all for your time,

Gmask
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're calculations are correct and you are using the correct D for the far field equation: R > 2*D^2/lambda (eq 1)

However, the far field also requires that R >> lambda (eq 2). Usually, eq 1 is the limiting equation, so it is used. But in this case you the 2nd equation would be the determining one because D is so small. Hence, at 2 GHz the far field wouldn't begin until R is roughly 10 lambda, or 1.5 meters.

If you look up the fields from a short dipole in a EM textbook or antenna book, you will see the near fields (that die off as 1/R^3 or 1/R^2) are present "close" to the antenna (when R is comparable to lambda). Once R is about 10 lambda away, these fields are negligible to the radiated fields (that die off as 1/R, and the E- and H-fields are orthogonal). The R>10lambda rule gets you out of the near field.
gmask
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Schubert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: