Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - height substrat
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

height substrat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abu Maria.
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: height substrat Reply with quote

hi

firstly thank you for all your answers...

I read an interesting link in this forum

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/patches/patch4.php

but i have questions:

1-why PHYSICALLY when we increase height of the substrat in patch antenna we increase the bandwith ?
2-why PHYSICALLY when we increase height of the substrat in patch antenna surface wave will be excited ?

thank u and sorry
splendor
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: height substrat Reply with quote

Hi, Abu,

I would like to try to answer 1st question. Please feel free to figure it out if I am wrong..

Thicker patch antenna, or smaller eps, usually means that antenna is less reactive (capacitive usually):

from the energy point of view, this means less stored energy in near field, leads to lower Q, larger bandwidth

from the impedance point of view, this means the impedance will vary slower, especially for the imaginary part crossing zero. So the matching bandwidth will be wider.

Bigsteve, if I am wrong,can you point it out for me? I am not sure by myself. Thanks

Abu Maria. wrote:
hi

firstly thank you for all your answers...

I read an interesting link in this forum

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/patches/patch4.php

but i have questions:

1-why PHYSICALLY when we increase height of the substrat in patch antenna we increase the bandwith ?
2-why PHYSICALLY when we increase height of the substrat in patch antenna surface wave will be excited ?

thank u and sorry
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a good answer. Definitely when you have a lot of capacitance (as in a capacitor) or a transmission line, the fields are tightly bound - and therefore the energy is stored in the near field. This is the "reactive fields" you speak of.

To get radiation, we do need to move out of the capacitance region and into the antenna region. Now on the subject of bandwidth - a higher substrate height does lead to wider bandwidth. It is the same analogy as in a fat dipole - the fields have a larger degree of freedom. This yields more bandwidth.

Alternatively, reducing the capacitance lowers the Q, which is higher bandwidth as you say.
Abu Maria.
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank u all
splender you say"...Thicker patch antenna, or smaller eps, usually means that antenna is less reactive (capacitive usually)"

why?
Normally, when you have a high thickness, we have field lines that will be bigger, so better or radiation

from the energy point of view, this means less stored energy in near field, leads to lower Q, larger bandwidth ..."

i dont understand this!sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: