Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - monopole antenna equations
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

monopole antenna equations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btb4198
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: monopole antenna equations Reply with quote

I am trying to design a monopole antenna and a circuit to go with it but I can't find any equations for that. I have read alot and I know about Ampere's law and Faradays' law, but I do not see how that will help me design an antenna.

ok this is what I got...

F = 2.4Ghz.
the distance the signal has to travel is 178 meters.
λ = 0.125metes

Now how do I use that information to to design and build a monopole antenna.

I think when designing an antenna you need to look for: T (thinnest of the wire) L (is the total length of the antenna) is that right?
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A monopole antenna should be a quarter-wavelength.

So if f = 2.4GHz, then one wavelength = c/f = 3e8/2.4e9 = 0.125 meters. hence, the Length should be L=lambda/4 = 3.1 cm.

Remember, the monopole should be on a ground plane. The ground plane should be roughly at least lambda/2 in diameter.

As to the thickness of the monopole: thicker is bigger. The thicker the monopole, the more volume it occupies, which means larger bandwidth (less sensitive to exact sizes to resonanate at 2.4 GHz).

The distance the signal needs to travel doesn't affect the antenna design - only the transmit power or receiver sensitivity.

Hope this helps
btb4198
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does alot!!!

so how do I determine the needed transmit power for a distance of 178 meters?
wolberine
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to use the Friis transmission formula for a basic guideline. Then, you'll want to research link budgets to factor in receiver sensitivity, noise issues, bit-error rates, etc. (any loss or gain factors that effect received signal strength). There is a lot of information on the main site as well as Wikipedia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: