Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - RFID Antenna complex impedance calculation
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFID Antenna complex impedance calculation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rock1997
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: RFID Antenna complex impedance calculation Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to antenna and RFID. I recently designed and made a RFID dipole antenna and would like to see the impedance change at certain frequencies.

I have obtained S matrix parameters s2p file using VNA and all four S parameters (including real and imag) can be seen. Since the complex impedance needs to be calculated using the following equation:

Zd=2*Z0*(1-S11^2+S21^2-2S12)/((1-S11)^2-S21^2), where Z0=50 Ohm.

I tried to plot Zd in EXCEL but it couldn`t handle four complex number operations, hence returning errors.

I then tried MATLAB but the results was very odd. I finally asked a friend of mine to plot using Keysight ADS which got the correct results.

From my side, I don`t have Keysight ADS. I would like to plot Zd using either EXCEL or MATLAB.

Anyone knows the correct way or even more convenient way to do the calculation?

Many thanks,

Rock
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: Why are there 2 ports in your measurement? Antenna is a 1 port device.
rock1997
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
First question: Why are there 2 ports in your measurement? Antenna is a 1 port device.

RFID is a balanced device so I used two ports measurement. What I did was that I made a bespoke fixture using RG405 cables and two SMA connectors. Both outer conductors of RG405 were soldered together to provide a common ground and both inner conductors were connected to port 1 and 2, respectively.

I did usual TOSM cal and then compensated the loss of the fixture. I then export S-matrix including all four S parameters. However, i am struggling on how to calculate the impedance using those four parameters..... complex number calculation....

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no sense. Measure the antenna with a single port and you can get the impedance directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: