Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Physics behind antennas principle of operation
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Physics behind antennas principle of operation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beepboop
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Physics behind antennas principle of operation Reply with quote

Hi. I am 2nd year EE student, and in first year we had class about fundamentals of EE where we learned about Maxwell's equations and circuit analysis but we have not touched subject of antennas. Since I will not take any RF class in future I probably will not learn about antennas at all and I think it is shame for EE student to not know at least some basics about this stuff considering how much it is important for modern society.
I have already read material on main site, but I am still not sure that I understand correctly why antennas work (I am more interested on how they work than designing). So this is how I think it works: Let say we have source of changing electrical field somewhere in the Universe (and for sake of argument say it is same in all directions). If we pick 2 points A and B, whose distances from source of changing electrical filed are r1 and r2, at some instances of time EF in points A and B will be different (due to finite speed of change propagation of EF) which we can detect. I would appreciate if you could verify this simplified explanation, and explain where am I wrong.
hagster
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best guide I have seen on how antennas work. Its very old, but good.

https://youtu.be/T-SbBlNgUTU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: