Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Tesla Coil
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tesla Coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powerwave
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Tesla Coil Reply with quote

Dear Forum,

I have recently tried to understand how a Tesla coil works. It is very similar to a transformer which is fundamentally two inductors interlinked by an iron core and serves to increase or decrease an input AC voltage (vice versa for the AC current).

Tesla coils, which can wirelessly turn on nearly fluorescent lights, are said to be resonant transformers. In what sense are ordinary capacitors not resonant?

Thanks.
Igor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesla coil uses air core.
So basically it is not that much different from normal transformer.

Original Tesla coil uses spark gap to induce signal in primarily coil.
Resonant frequency is achieved with LC curcuit which is conected to the ground on one end and regulation of distance on spark gap contacts
This was only way to achieve high frequencies back than.
Now days it is fairly easier and more precise to use investor circuit for inducing primary coil.

Hope this helps you a bit.
bestazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who owns a tesla coil and loves making sparks, this was the best layman explanation of how a tesla coil works. I have personally had trouble explaining to non technical friends and family how tesla coils work, since I usually start explaning how lc circuits work, then realize I have to explain voltage first. Good job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: