Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - FM Radio Reception by the Human Brain/Head
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Radio Reception by the Human Brain/Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you know someone or have you had this experience?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

RadioHead
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: FM Radio Reception by the Human Brain/Head Reply with quote

Is it possible for a person to receive an FM radio broadcast signal near the ear function by some transformation of the properties in a humans ear or brain? I recently became completely deaf in "one" ear. It took about a week for my hearing to be completely gone, during which I experienced many distortions, volume level changes and other unusual sounds. Now that I am completely deaf in that one ear, I hear a radio station or what sounds like one at a very low volume. I hear music, DJ commentary commercial advertisement but most importantly, I hear music. My theory is that when my hearing mechanism deteriorated, it somehow changed into a receiving antenna... In other inquiries, I have found a number of people who have had the same experience as I am having and all related to deafness. I have no other anomalies, that I don't understand, except the FM signal/receiver antenna requirements. This is a serious inquiry, it is not a joke. I have done other research but I need to know if it is possible for the human body to be a receiving antenna. All theories accepted respectfully.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's a few things that don't make sense.

First, let's just assume hypothetically somehow your ear become a good FM antenna. This wouldn't actually produce any audible FM sound. For instance, if your car is off and you try and listen to your car's FM antenna, would you hear anything? No. You need to have a radio, which takes the antenna output and demodulates the information into audible sound. So, even if your ear became an antenna, what would change the voltage (inaudible) into sound pressure (audible)?

Second. Without metal, there really is no way to go from Electric fields (which make up propagating waves) to a voltage, which can be converted into sound. So you would need a good chunk of metal in there (and really two separated halves to make a dipole) in order to make an antenna. And since the wavelength of FM is several meters, a very small piece of metal (<1ft) won't make an efficient antenna, so a very small metallic implant probably won't do anything.
RadioHead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you admin, Several facts I haven't considered because of my lack of practical experience and knowledge of antenna/e-fields/modulation. I tried to keep the post as brief as I could so it would fit. I have "Tinnitus", which is a high frequency tone that gets louder and softer in volume, but it is created inside my head by the damaged ear nerve endings. No sound can be heard outside but I can, what I call hear, it inside my head and the ear drum is still intact which converts sound waves from outside the ear into whatever is understood by the brain (i.e. radio). And, what about "nervous system"? Is there any comparison to the current the nerves carry and the EF that radio frequency travels with? The entire ear isn't "turned off", it's just restricted from functioning like it used to, which is receiving outside sound/stimuli and converting it into whatever my brain used to understand. The radio sound level is extremely low, wouldn't need much current and if is connected behind the ear drum, could it already be converted, or not need to be? You see, it's not sound, it's whatever sound becomes after being heard??? Food for thought
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed possible for RF to be "heard"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect

However 1) this happens mostly at relatively high power levels (do you live near, or under, a broadcast transmitter?!) 2) it's not clear how an FM signal might be demodulated to form intelligible audio. Are you sure it's an FM broadcast? It seems simpler that AM might be demodulated.

All materials interact with EM (including dielectrics) however interactions with good conductors are by far the strongest.
RadioHead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: FM Radio Reception by the Human Brain/Head Reply with quote

Thank you Helix, that is encouraging. To continue researching the subject, I mean. For the FM sig, I live near a volcano mountain where several radio stations claim to have their broadcast antennas but I haven't been able to match programing yet. I looked into AM also, with no successful correlation. There is also a huge lake below the mountain and I live on the opposite side of the lake. Wouldn't the EM-waves travel across the lake and suffer little or no loss? Also, I am not "hearing" it as an external sound wave. It's as if it is being received and skipping the demodulation, which is probably hard to vision. But can't demodulation occur by other than standard or common methods? I will look more into AM broadcast. Again, combination of instruments, rythem, beats, vocals (real songs, recognizable) and DJ commentary along with all the radio programming, exist. It is no auditory hallucination. There has to be some other explanation and I appreciate your help. There are a lot of stations around me and I'm still seeking help. So, thanks again. I also visited your link and links from the link you provided and found many answers, it works.
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. RF propagation is very complicated and depends greatly on the frequency.... it's hard to make general statements. However given the signal strength required for the microwave auditory effect, it seems unlikely that you would perceive broadcasts from far away while not perceiving local ones.

When you are closer to a broadcast transmitter (either AM or FM) what do you perceive? If you ever go to a shielded place, such as a tunnel, cave, or mine, what do you perceive? A transistor radio in such a place could give a qualitative idea of the strength of various broadcast signals.
Parna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The research on the Microwave auditory effect (as in hearing actual intelligible words) seems questionable and not convincing and does not seem to come from physicists or engineers and can't be even classified as scientific research, in my opinion, as it seems to lack scientific skepticism. Helix, the reference 4 in the wikipedia article that you posted is a book called "Mind Programming: From Persuasion and Brainwashing, to Self-Help and Practical Metaphysics" written by a respected "philosopher" called Eldon Taylor.

But even if it was a real phenomenon, you wouldn't need to test it in a cave. A road trip would at least result in hearing weaker signals as you move away from the radio station near your house
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The microwave auditory effect, which does NOT refer to perception of intelligible speech, but merely any sound, is reported in legitimate scientific literature:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=microwave+auditory+effect

I as well as others have acknowledged the difficulties in demodulating intelligible speech. However it may be possible.
Parna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clarifying. I realize there is legitimate reports of hearing ANY sound. However, the legitimate research on consistently and clearly hearing intelligible words/music does not exist any more than it exists on the existence of bigfoot. So, while it may be possible, it is incredibly unlikely.
RadioHead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. I did take a road trip Friday, 100 miles away and the venue remained as it was. It was as if I took the radio broadcast with me. I had a hearing test at Fort Miley, SF. I asked the Medical Professionals about the unusual phenom, and they steered me towards "physics" but with little familiarization on the subject on their part, no real advancement of understanding was achieved by me. I'm still looking for a reasonable explanation other than "auditory hallucination". I would be more than willing to participate in legitimate study if there is one out there. This has been quite an experience and I will see it to a complete and verified understanding. I want to thank this forum and all who participated, as you have helped to keep me interested with all of the controversy. The links provided seem so scientific and full of legitimate information.... I only wish I could trust or at least sort out what can and can not be trusted. Please continue to provide sources of information. I do have an AA in Electronics Engineering and a BA in Telecommunications so I am not flying completely blind.
RadioHead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the subject has played out and I don't know what to do at this point. I feel I should remove the post since it is no longer useful. I would like to thank everyone who participated. it was very interesting since it was my first time doing this. I did get some good information but what do I do now? mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: