Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - impact of tuning an antenna on its original surface current
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

impact of tuning an antenna on its original surface current

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raphael_spacecode
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: impact of tuning an antenna on its original surface current Reply with quote

Hello
I have simulated an antenna and get its J surface current and H near field.
Since this antenna is really unmatched w.r.t a 50 ohms cable, I have used afterwards a LC tuning circuit. It is now well tuned but its surface current and H near field are strongly impacted. Their distributions are totally differents (null and maximum at different locations) from the previous ones. Is it normal?
I did expect the same repartition but with a greater antenna current since the reflected power at the input antenna terminals is now lower.
However it is not the case.
Is this a normal situation? Or maybe I have badly simulated this antenna?

Thank you in advance for your help
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question from a theoretical perspective. ...From a practical perspective, I'm curious what code you're using and how exactly you're simulating the matching network. A common approach would be to simulate the antenna as a "transmitter" and export the input impedance as S-parameters for use in another circuit code. Maybe with "co-simulation" in a code like ADS or CST you're seeing the effect on the currents.

From a theoretical perspective, I think the dependence of the currents and fields on the matching network is OK. Consider a receiving antenna with an arbitrary terminating impedance. Within your simulation volume, the ratio of the line integral of the E-field along the feed and the contour integral of the H-field around the feed must give the terminating impedance. As the termination impedance changes, the ratio of these field integrals will change. It's a pretty safe bet that if the ratio of the field integrals must change, then the fields themselves must change.

Now -- you're mentioning seeing the shapes of the currents and fields away from the feed change with the matching network. Again, consider the receiving antenna case. If you regard space as a spherical transmission line, with incoming and outgoing spherical waves (e.g., Chu's "modes of free space"). In a way analogous to a regular transmission line, due to the reflected wave, you'll see current/H-field and voltage/E-field maxima and minima move around depending on the terminating impedance (this is how a slotted line works).

OK, so this I feel answers your question for the receiving case. It's perhaps a little harder to see for the transmitting case, which is probably the way you are running your code... I'll have to think about that more to come up with an argument for that.
raphael_spacecode
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very interesting, especially the concept of integrating the E and H fields.
My (very) basic explanation was:
since I am using an ideal voltage source, tuning the antenna means changing its input impedance and hence only the input current (in terms of the magnitude and phase). So I was assuming the current is also changing elsewhere... But it is a very basic explanation... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: