Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Flexi PFIA close to the body...
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flexi PFIA close to the body...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnyberg2
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Flexi PFIA close to the body... Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice for a thin flexible polyimide PIFA design that is ground plane backed for 915 MHz? I am radiating RF (<1W) into the body to interrogate a temp pill that got swallowed idea. Not new I know but I'm using this to learn.

Thanks
helix
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thin PIFA may be difficult. At 915MHz, the wavelength is about 300mm. If you wanted the antenna to be 3mm thick, then that's only 1% of a wavelength. A PIFA this thin will have a narrow impedance bandwidth for sure (1% or less), and could be pretty inefficient. W.r.t. impedance bandwidth, this will lead to detuning problems. I.e., the antenna center frequency will change a lot when it's placed up against the body, and possibly depending on how and where it's placed. If you want the substrate to be flexible, this is likely to only increase detuning problems.

You might consider a dipole as an alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: