Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Ideal distance between dipole antennas?
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal distance between dipole antennas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ball
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Ideal distance between dipole antennas? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm adding external antennas to a netgear router (the internal pc-board based antennas suck).

The router has three internal ports, but I'll only be using two of them for a couple long omnidirectional antennas.

What is the ideal distance for drilling the holes? I'm considering one wavelength or 1.5 wavelengths (a wavelength being 123mm for channel 6).

I measured a bricked linksys router which had the antennas 146mm apart for whatever reason.

Thanks.
hagster
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The antennas in these Wi-Fi routers are designed for MIMO data transmission rather than as a conventional beam forming phased array. The idea is that each antenna has a distinct radio path to the device and can therefore (to some extent) transmit different data through each path to increase throughput. So ideally you should be aiming to maintain as much difference between the the antenna paths as possible. One method of doing this is to have different polorisation, hence you will see routers with 3 antennas at different slants. For directional antennas it's common to see patch antennas with horizontal and vertical feeds.

As to the best seperation my guess would be something like a 1/4 lamda or multiple thereof might make sense.
ball
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, so what orientation should I have the antennae?

3/4 λ would be about 92mm for channel 6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: