Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Fundamental Antenna Array Response Question
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fundamental Antenna Array Response Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbellis
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Fundamental Antenna Array Response Question Reply with quote

Hello! I had a question regarding Efields, I think it is a quick question but for some reason I am unable to wrap my head around it:

If I have a two element array - say of vertical dipoles spaced 0.2 wavelengths away. The way I see it, there are two ways of recording the array response that includes the coupling:

1. If I excite both antennas, an Efield will be produced by the array, say "EfieldAll."

2. If I excite antenna #1 and keep the other off, an Efield is produced, say "Efield1," which includes the radiation of the excited element and the parasitic radiation from the passive other element. Likewise can be done, acquiring "Efield2."

My question is this. Should EfieldALL = Efield1 + Efield2? I know Efields add vectorially using superposition so to me this would make sense.... but I am unable to logic it out/prove it to myself completely.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
pbellis
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract my earlier question - I've answered it. It definitely should be equal. The program I was using to verify it (4nec2) was showing results saying otherwise and made me question my understanding... but upon reinstalling it and retrying... the result was proven. Embarrassing... but resolved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: