Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Fractal Sheet Metal Antenna
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fractal Sheet Metal Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plaulsible
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Fractal Sheet Metal Antenna Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a student trying to make a DIY seirpinski triangle antenna. I want it to communicate on wifi frequency so I used the f = c/lambda to find the height of my antenna (0.125 m or 4.92'').

The real issue comes in testing the antenna's radiation pattern.

My first plan for testing it would be to use 2 xbees in which one would have my antenna soldered on (act as the transmitter) while the other would have the purchased antenna (and act as a receiver). Then run the information to an arduino and run it on to X-CTU to check the radiation pattern.

My other plan was to connect my antenna to a bnc cable which would connect to a function generator and attempt to send the signal through an oscilloscope.

For either case, I do not know the details for what I would need to do, so if someone could help me with the proper links or instructions, I would greatly appreciate it!!
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is a good one, but unfortunately....you can only estimate things. There's so much reflection/multipath/whatever that will make it tough to figure out the radiation pattern. Add on top of that: don't forget antenna polarization, if the polarization is not the same you have polarization mismatch loss.

Basically, this is the reason antenna engineers have to spend 400k-1M on anechoic chambers, they are a reflection free environment that automates the 3d collection of the antenna pattern (and efficiency).

Your question shows you know enough what to do that you should just do your best, try to minimize reflection, and know that you've got an estimate of what's going on, but you can't really get the pattern without an anechoic chamber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: