Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Far Field of Array with Parabolic Reflectors
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Far Field of Array with Parabolic Reflectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TUD
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Far Field of Array with Parabolic Reflectors Reply with quote

Dear All,

if I have an array of 4 Parabolic Reflectors with elements spacing of 100lambda, where starts Far Field of this array?

in the far field of each parabolic antenna or in the far field of array?

thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The far field is where the radiation from each antenna falls off as 1/r^2 and the phase appears linear.

Your application is quite odd, so you probably won't find the answer in a textbook. I actually think the exact answer is open to interpretation.

But for me, the far field of that array is the region where you are in the far field of each antenna. This means the far field region will not be a simple region, but one with holes centered around each antenna.

The very conservative answer is you should be in the far field assuming the antenna is the size of the array, but I think the array will act like an array even between the elements, given the large spacing.
TUD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer.

For example, if we take reflect array. In the far field formula "D" is a maximum dimension of an array (the largest side of array) and it doesn't matter if the size of the patch is equal to the cell size (fit in the cell) or is smaller than the cell. If smaller we have also "holes" but this fact doesn't play any role for the far field calculation.

but the difference is that the patches reradiate the received power and the parabolic antennas only reflect it and dont reradiate.

I don't know, does this difference play a role for the FF calculations?
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comment:
"ut the difference is that the patches reradiate the received power and the parabolic antennas only reflect it and dont reradiate. "

- doesn't make any sense.
TUD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schubert wrote:
Your comment:
"ut the difference is that the patches reradiate the received power and the parabolic antennas only reflect it and dont reradiate. "

- doesn't make any sense.

Tnaks for your comment.

Do you mean that there is no difference?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: