Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Spiral, 1/2 wave dipole -- probable radiation pattern?
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spiral, 1/2 wave dipole -- probable radiation pattern?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieW
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Spiral, 1/2 wave dipole -- probable radiation pattern? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a HF newbie planning on putting together an amateur station.

One intriguing antenna product I've encountered is the TAK-tenna [http://www.tak-tenna.com/ ]. It is a 1/2 wave dipole spiraled on two 'wheels' on either side of a ~40 inch boom. Essentially it looks like a 'dumbbell' with the lead attaching at about the middle of the boom.

Numerous reviewers have given favorable remarks. Its lightness (8 lbs) and compactness are attractive to me.

But, I am wondering what sort of radiation pattern such an antenna might produce?

They have an 80 m and a 40 m model with quarter wave wire lengths on each of the end-cap spirals, cut, I assume, for about 5 MHz and 10 MHz, respectively.

And, two mounting orientations are discussed, Horizontal, with the spiral wheels perpendicular to the ground, and Vertical, with the wheels parallel to the ground. Do either of these mounting orientations suggest a more or less 'directional' capability?

Though I am very new to exploring HF equipment, I do know that such an antenna would require a tuner to work on multiple bands. And, I know that antenna tuners are more correctly 'impedance matching' devices. The standard 'in shack' tuners make the lead line impedance match that of the transmitter, so the transmitter will be able to give its full (chosen) power to the lead, and also prevent HF SWR from flowing up the coax lead back into the station.

But, the in-shack tuner does not address long feed line loss, or address impedance of the antenna itself. So, full chosen power is offered to the lead, but the antenna may still radiate inefficiently.

I'm considering a remote, automatic tuner which attaches at the antenna. From my limited understanding, the remote automatic device has much better chance of making the most optimal match, and, because it is at the antenna, a better portion of delivered power to actually radiate through the antenna.

Any opinions on remote/automatic v. in shack tuners? (and, are my assumptions correct?)

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Steve
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That antenna is basically a short dipole antenna, so the radiation pattern will be similar to a short dipole (sin[theta] pattern). Think of a dipole with the arms wrapped up in spirals so it is shorter.

On mounting: that will determine if you have horizontal or vertical polarization. If the spirals are vertically mounted (like a dumbell on its edge it is vertical). If it like a car axle, it is horizontally polarized.

Yeah, you'll need to do impedance matching or tuning to change bands on that. You could also make it longer or shorter. I don't think there is a generic "impedance tuner" that would exist, it is specific to the antenna and situation at hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: