Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Need help identifying this PCB antenna
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help identifying this PCB antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sporadic
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying this PCB antenna Reply with quote

I had originally thought this was a meandering / folded inverted F, but I believe I'm wrong. Could someone tell me the basis of this design so I could research the theory behind it? It's common the 2.4GHz nRF24L01+ modules that you can grab on eBay. Thank you!
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just a piece of crap dipole antenna. One side is the main ground plane (i.e. the ground of the board) and the other side is that meandered wire to fit in the space provided
sporadic
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schubert wrote:
That's just a piece of crap dipole antenna. One side is the main ground plane (i.e. the ground of the board) and the other side is that meandered wire to fit in the space provided

Ah, thanks! What about the vertical trace that looks to be ~1/16 wavelength running to the ground via? That is what was throwing me for a loop I believe. Also, it should be a 50 ohm feed according the components used crossed against their reference designs. Thanks again for the help.
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That can be a distributed inductor (i.e. adds parallel inductance at feed to cancel out increased capacitance due to wrapping dipole close to ground plane). So technically it is an IFA.

An IFA is essentially a dipole though, with a transmission line style inductor as part of the matching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: