Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Oops... Cell phone screw up
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oops... Cell phone screw up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trent393
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Oops... Cell phone screw up Reply with quote

Hello all... I have an issue which is totally my fault and I am hoping to fix it... I took my phone apart in order to fix it speaker because it had a buzzing/no sound issue... When I took it apart I tore the GSM/WCMDA antenna sort of in half... It is not a wire, it is a flat piece of black flexible plastic and you can see all the interior lines running through it... My question is am I able to cut another piece of copper with the same exact shape... I feel very confident I could get fairly close to precision on replicating the shape but was curious if it had to be computer precise??? Also if the gauges of copper have to be identical or if i was able to use something slightly thicker (due to availability)... My issue is I bought this phone from china since I needed a dual simcard phone and most US companies do not sell... Well I have not been able to locate replacement antenna and was curious if I am crazy or if yall think I might be able to rig it up... I am able to connect a wire to it and it works halfway... Halfway meaning one sim card will work but not the other...It is a dual sim dual standby phone... 3G: WCDMA 850MHz, WCDMA 2100MHz
2G: GSM 1900MHz, GSM 1800MHz, GSM 900MHz, GSM 850MHz
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickness of the copper doesn't matter. If you didn't screw up the feed (there is usually a coaxial connector to the main board) then you can replace the copper you tore off and it will likely function just fine
trent393

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the layout have to be pretty precise of how it is cut... I had watched a couple of videos on here and it seemed like the way certain paths were laid out made a difference on functionality... I think I can get relatively close (with a tolerance of 1/64th of an inch)... Only reason I ask is because one of the SIM cards was working with great reception if i simply touched a copper wire to the connection... The other SIM card would not pick up any signal
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a network analyzer, there is no way to reliably tell how critical it is.

From my experience (and I've done antennas on a lot of phones), it isn't critical to the mm level (i.e. that will not change your results by an amount that will affect your results from an end users perspective)

If it isn't connecting for some reason, there are a million other reasons besides the antenna on why that is. Get it approximately right, and forget about it
trent393

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually cut a piece that is relatively close and it works... But I also discovered that there was a setting in my phone that had got changed also and it works just as good by touching a wire to the dang connection... The whole time I thought it was the antenna having to be perfect when its just a simple setting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: