Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Looking for assist ragarding SMART ANTENNA project
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for assist ragarding SMART ANTENNA project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohammed
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Looking for assist ragarding SMART ANTENNA project Reply with quote

hello there ...

l'm doing my final year project and l have to design, develop and implement a smart broadband antenna ... But l dont know how to start my desing and what is the best program to use ... l have been advised to use ANSOFT program ....

therefore, l need your help and assist in terms of :

. how to specify my parameters ... what should be my Frequency, type of antenna ( adaptive array, switched array, microstrip array, aperture array), effictive dielectric constant, ... etc, so l can calculate the rest parameters such as L, W and so on...

. what is the suitable program to do design and stimulate my antenna ...

Your help and support are highly appreciated ... Smile
Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should be your frequency?

Antennas/Smart Antennas are always built in order to solve a specific communications problem, and so if there is no frequency specified that means they really don't care what you are doing. To make it practical, choose the GPS frequency: 1.575 GHz - this is also a narrowband application which will make your job easier.

If you aren't dealing with mutual coupling, the math is simple and just involves manipulating array factors and choosing weights....(see the arrays section of this website) then you don't need much computing power and can use Matlab or write it in C. If you need very accurate information, like the effects of mutual coupling, then you will need HFSS, FDTD, or FEKO, or some full-wave simulation.

Most of the parameters you requested (adaptive array, switched array, microstrip array, etc) don't make any sense unless you have an application. If there is no application, you don't need an antenna in the first place.

So possibly specify you want a GPS receiver that will have 30 degree beamwidth and -30 dB sidelobes, then figure out how many antennas you need, (you can choose whatever antennas you want, say patch/microstrips are fine because they are common GPS antennas and used in arrays) and the required parameters will come through analysis.

In summary, your project makes no sense until you choose a specific goal or application, and then you can start determining parameters.
Mohammed
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Schubert

Firstly thank you for replaying Ö actually, l got the topic as general and l have to specify the application and the parameters as well as a first draft for my antenna Ö also, I have to specify my objectives and estimated output of this project.. and thatís all in my presentation of phase1 in two weeks from now.

Well, l have done some reading regarding my topic, but l feel myself like Iím lost and canít gather up the information and ideas Ö

I like to do my application about GSM mobile communication Ö but lím confused in which frequency should be better to use (900MHZ or 1800MHZ .. and is it possible to use them both) Ö also lím confused on what is the type of antenna is better (is it the adaptive array .. and how complicated my project with using such antenna) Ö and what is the way and type of DSP algorithm should be used to estimate and calculate my Direction of arrival (DOA) [should be MUSIC, ESPRIT, or conventional methodÖ] and Beamforming technique (MMSE or LMS) Ö

In fact, I have limited time to accomplish this project and l need my application and objectives to be specified form the early beginning Ö so l donít stuck in the middle with a very complicated application and couldnít finish it .. Besides that, I need to keep with the standard of the project and do some development and so on Ö

Nowadays, lím reading the Antenna Theory book for Balanis 3rd edition and it was so usefulÖ but lím still looking for the CD which contains some efficient codes Ö Moreover, if you have any advised reference I will be so grateful Ö

Thank you again Ö your comments were so useful and helpful Ö it really opens my mind to many things Ö

Best regards Ö

Mohammed,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: