Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Achieve good return loss in low freq patch antenna?
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Achieve good return loss in low freq patch antenna?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winson
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Achieve good return loss in low freq patch antenna? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to design a L probe microstrip patch antenna that resonate at 850MHz. Is it possible for the large antenna like what i'm build to have a return loss of -30dB? Currently i'm just getting return loss of less than -10dB.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: -30 dB? Reply with quote

If you have no size constraints, 850 MHz should be no more difficult than 2GHz.

I know I've seen -20 dB in conference papers, but I'm not sure about -30 dB. Why do you need that low of a return loss?
winson
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-30dB is just an example, actually what i desire is have a return loss of more than -10dB at the same time maintain the wide bandwidth. Currently, i have design the antenna to have a good "bandwidth", but it just have return loss of around -7dB(maximum) and no matter how i adjust the dimension of the antenna it does not increase the return loss much, so just post a question here to verify whether large antenna will having limit in its return loss.

Btw, i able to make the return loss become very low but the bandwidth will just become very narrow and this is not desire by the design specification.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Increasing the Bandwidth Reply with quote

There are some things you can do to increase the bandwidth of a patch antenna:

a) Increase the substrate thickness
b) Keep the permittivity of the dielectric as low as possible
c) Add slots (like U-shaped slots to the top patch), or slots into the ground plane, which adds capacitance and tends to increase the bandwidth
d) Feed it off the center, and have slightly different W and L values that resonate at slightly different frequencies.

And so on, there are no doubt infinitely more ways than I can name
winson
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience.
gelunmak
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: L-probe antenna Reply with quote

Are you talking about L-probe feeding patch antenna? If yes, it's already a wideband design like using U-slot. Try to use air-substrate with thickness about 0.1 lambda.

Bty, so what is your bandwidth requirement (S11<-10dB) ?
winson
Antenna Theory Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just aware that you leave a message here. Yes, it is a L-Probe Patch antenna and that project already finish.

Thanks for your suggestion. The BW requirement is about to cover 800MHz to 900MHz by using the teflon as the substrate but it fail to achieve that BW, then finally it is replaced by air substrate like what you suggested and we can achieve wider BW.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> Questions Related to Antenna Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: