Antenna - Theory .com: The Antenna Site

Antenna Basics Antenna Types Smith Charts Antenna Measurements

antenna-theory.com :: View topic - Microsoft Hiring Antenna Engineers
antenna-theory.com Forum Index antenna-theory.com
Antenna Theory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Hiring Antenna Engineers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Microsoft Hiring Antenna Engineers Reply with quote

There is great news in the antenna community today!

Microsoft is now hiring Antenna Engineers up in the pacific Northwest Razz

Based on the requisition, which mentions SAR, TRP, TIS, and HAC (Hearing-Aid Compliance), this strongly suggests they are finally staffing up to build their own hardware for a mobile phone.

This is fantastic news. The defense industry, for the last 80 years, has been home to all the high paying careers. I'm not a big fan of the defense industry, as it's slow-paced and dominated by government beauracracy.

This is all thanks to Apple and their iPhone. Before Apple, you'd just have motorola or whoever putting out crappy flip phones, and building their crap in China. But Apple came along, and insisted on industrial-beauty for their devices; that coupled with form-factor secrecy necessitated they hire antenna engineers to integrate antennas into their products.

The shift from antenna dominance in defense to private industry is the greatest thing happening in antennas today, particularly for the inspiring antenna engineer, whether or not they know it.

If we can just get google to build a phone......

I've posted these and other antenna engineering jobs here:
http://www.antenna-theory.com/careers/jobs.php
mr-green
Antenna-Theory.com Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see happiness that antenna engineering is shared to private industry, other than predominated by the defense sector. Nevertheless, maligned talks are there about Motorola!

isn't Motorola considered private industry, building handsets for both consumers, and enterprises? they do have team of antenna engineers for there wireless products! A post in the news section of this forum also mentioned happily that Motorola have opening for antenna engineers!!!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using more punctuation? Typically at least 4 exclamation points (instead of the 3 in a row you used) will help get your meaning across better.

The difference between motorola and microsoft, my friend, is that at the time of the post 04 February 2011, it was clear for many years that motrola had antenna engineers as they build their own phones. Microsoft, on the other hand, was predominately software, and so them opening up significant antenna opportunities representing an expansion of the antenna community into a new world, that of software. This was the reason for the post.
Mobango420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift from antenna dominance in defense to private industry is the greatest thing happening in antennas today, particularly for the inspiring antenna engineer, whether or not they know it.

Schubert
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur
Teg-Men

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very good to see that private jobs are increasing.

I would like to ask a question at that point. I searched on the net about Antenna Engineer position in US. Many of them want SCI etc. which means many jobs require clearance. What happens people who come US, not citizen, and get PhD degree related to Antenna Engineering. Are there enough job for them?

I am a MS student outside of US. At the same time, I am working for a defense company in Antenna Technologies Department. After my MS, I am going to go to US to seek my PhD degree. However, after getting PhD, what will happens? Will I be an unemployed? Or someone else who cannot obtain clearance?
bigSteve
Antenna Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't be able to get a defense job. But those are slow and pointless anyway. You should orient your research towards consumer electronics, which is the area that will most need antenna engineers in the future. Particularly, there may be a boom in wearable devices in the future, which will require well designed antennas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    antenna-theory.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: